Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Damart: Reinventing the Thermolactyl Experience

I have just completed a garment technology project based on reinventing thermal wear. The brief was to design one or more item of lesuire/loungewear which could be worn as both outer and underwear. The project goes towards one of my modules at University, however was also set as a competition by the well established brand Damart, with the intention of widening their audience and welcoming a younger target market to their brand. The images above are taken from Damart's newest look book and certainly show the change in their image with styling becoming more younger and sexier.

For this project I wanted to combine leisurewear with activewear, creating an item of clothing which will have more than one purpose and function. I have chosen a light teal colour thermal fabric for the garment however for the binding detail I have reversed the fabric to contrast in a dark teal. For the panelling to fit into both categories of lesuire and activewear I coverstitched the pannel outlines, giving the garment a more sporty look. Below are images showing part of the making process I went through, however will be putting my design up at a later date.
I am extremely happy to say I have made it to the final stage of the competition. On the 7th of May I will have an interview and present my work to Damart for the chance a to win! Meanwhile during the easter break my work will be professionally styled and photographed. I couldn't be more happy right now and winning would mean the world to me but either way I am so appreciative to get this far in the competition!